Moving home is a busy time and can be a daunting experience, so planning your move is essential. We have put together a list to help you prepare for a smooth move!
- If you decide to use a removal company it is worth obtaining several quotes from removal companies who have insurance for furniture in transit. Ensure the removal companies are members of the British Association of Removers (BAR).
- Draw a floor plan for the removers of where your furniture will go in the new home. Once boxes are packed, ensure that they are clearly labelled with content details and the room to which it belongs. This will make things easier when you’re unpacking in your new home and help the removers in knowing which box to put in which room.
- If you know that certain pieces of your furniture won’t fit into your new house – then it may be worth selling them a couple of weeks in advance.
- Keep everyone in the know – have a ‘change of address check list’ to enable you to keep track of who you have informed.
- Remember to get your post re-directed to your new address. You can do this by downloading a form from the Post Office website. You will need to do this in advance as it can take over a week to set up.
- Involve your children with the move – giving children tasks and responsibility will give them control over their situation. Involve them in packing and let them pack up their own toys.
- Prioritise on making your child’s new bedroom feel like home, this will help them settle in quickly.
- If you’re moving out of the area, organise a little leaving party for their friends. It will take children some time to adjust to new surroundings and school so encourage them to talk openly about any anxieties they may have.
- Moving day – Ideally have friends or relatives look after your children or pets on the day of your house move. It will be one less thing to think about!
- Clean your home – If possible try and get into your new home before moving day and give it a good clean, wiping out kitchen cupboards and wardrobes etc.
- Broadband – Before you move in, plan ahead and compare TV and broadband packages from the leading providers.
If you are moving home and need an extra pair of hands, then we can help. We organise everyone and everything, managing the whole process from start to finish to guarantee a move that’s hassle and stress-free.
We can put together a personalised moving home guide with all the essential tips and advice you need for a smooth move. We act as the main point of contact for all contractors involved, coordinating removal firms, cleaners, estate agents and legal teams. We take meter readings and set up the new home with clothes in the wardrobes and the kitchen ready for use. We can help you settle into your new home by producing an information pack about the local area tailored to your interests and send new address details to all the contacts in your address book.